Sunday, January 15, 2012

Linda's Film on Menstruation


A couple years ago I came across Linda's Film on Menstruation. An educational film on menstruation directed by Linda Feferman. It was an interesting and delightful find (yes I was delighted to find this period film). If memory serves, health films usually were not that interesting, well-written or (intentionally) funny. Linda's Film on Menstruation feels comprehensive and progressive. The film centers on Judy, a plucky teenager who has a few headaches. She gets her first period and and she's got a dopey boyfriend, Johnny. But through watching 70s style cartoons, a rap session with some feminists in a park about tampons, and a nightmare about cultural menstruation myths-Judy comes through a confident woman. It's fun a movie.

Since a narrative element in KICK involved menstruation, I showed a portion of Linda's Film on Menstruation as a part of the shorts program that ran with KICK. It always got an amused response. So when I screened in LA, I had a thought. A lot of directors live in LA right? I wondered if director Linda Feferman possibly lived there. Well I found her contact through the DGA, and I invited her to the screening. SHE CAME and my friends and I were able to meet her. She still works with science and informational films. Linda was an interesting woman director to meet. We were all inspired. It was awesome. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment